Conventionally, web contents irrespective of type and genre were hosted at a single location. This scenario resulted in an enhanced distance between the end users and hosting server. Greater distance meant increased latency leading to a slower communication and elevated scopes of losing data. This compelled the users to wait for a longer period of time in order to receive the desired contents.
Will you want your clients to receive this service? Won’t it agitate them and create a negative impression of your organization? Is there a way to deal with it?The finest way to achieve the target is to opt for Content Delivery Network or CDN service.
Importance of network Performance
While designing an online presence for your business, it is essential to make the website presentable as it is the easiest platform to communicate with the clients. Will it be enough to attract the clients? The answer to this is no.
The clients seek performance rather than only eye-catching embellishments. It is not only an option to enhance the performance but also contribute to the communication of data from the server to users.
Let understand the fundamentals of CDN herewith.
Fundamentals of Content Delivery Network
Have you ever wondered, in spite of an organization being based at a different country, it is able to offer services to you at a jet lightning speed? The solution can be stretched back to CDN.
It is basically a group of networks or system of computers which are interconnected to each other. These are cached or loaded with the static contents of a web page and are scattered across the world in order to reach a greater number of clients with ease. It depletes the loading time of the web page irrespective of the time, location, and purpose of visiting the site.
Working Principal of CDN
When an end user raises a request for a particular website, it is sent to a proxy server that dwells the nearest to him/her. It considerably decreases the distance needed by a packet of data to travel to and from an end user and the host server. This results in diminished latency, which is an exclusive factor contributing to website performance. The strategic distribution of the servers or nodes also ensures prompt response from the server, regardless of the network traffic.
Primary Focus of CDN
Content Delivery Network deals with numerous industries with diversified sizes. However, it primarily focuses on enhancing the network performance by targeting a few key parameters. Let us have a look at those:
- Downloading– A website is accessed for various purposes, one of which includes downloading of files that are huge in size, such as software distribution.
CDN ensures a secure and prompt access to the downloadable files from HTTPS as well as HTTP. It even resumes the downloading if it pauses for any technical difficulties.
- Streaming– These files are not stored in the computers of end users except for the minor buffering that aims to take care of the irregular packets of IP. It delivers an unceasing packet of the contents, to offer the clients unmatched experience. This ensures a delighted experience, leading to enhanced revenue generation.
- Progressive Downloading-This technique execute the files immediately after these have been clicked, without waiting for it to download. This is used for the feeds and advertisements, which starts playing immediately after a website opens.
CDN & E-commerce
Online shopping is a section of the business that demands acute precision and quick response, in spite of huge traffic. This can only be attained if your website is bestowed with the finest hosting service. CDN distributes the traffic evenly among the diversified nodes in order to offer the end users with an uninterrupted service, which is the key to gaining success.
Does a Company Need CDN?
It was found in a survey that the people accessing the internet to obtain information look for an instant response from the targeted site. The ones which fail to deliver the same tend to lose potential customers in spite of offering great deals.
Hence, in order to attract more clients and retain the existing ones, it is important to incorporate CDN in the system. This will not only make sure there is no loss of packet data but also confirm satisfaction of the customers.
How is the performance of the website depleted? Let us find it out.
Reasons for Slow Performance
Proper analysis of the root cause is as important as the solution itself. Therefore, the focus must be on locating the exact concern with the website performance. The prime reasons are as follows:
- Size of the content– Various kinds of contents like media files, software applications, and more are increasing at an exponential rate to cater to the demands of the people. However, this creates unnecessary pressure on the infrastructure of the associated website, leading to depleted performance.
- Traffic bottleneck– As a business expands its arms and includes various areas of functionalities, the number of clients also increase, which is the prime target of any firm. However, this causes traffic bottleneck that slows the network performance immensely. This creates a domino effect on the network, crashing the entire system.
- Mobile devices– People prefer operation on the go which is met perfectly by the mobile devices. This is the primary contributor to the congestion of the network, affecting the speed.
The relationship between CDN & Performance
The aforementioned points are the prime concerns that lead to a slow performing website. CDN service has proven its worth by uplifting the performance of the site without any lag. With numerous nodes distributed in different places, the website becomes seamlessly accessible to the clients, leading to the growth of a business.
The conjugation of proficient manpower and engaging website forms a foundation fora successful business. Hence, it is essential to ponder on the technology and the people associated with it in order to attain the finest outcome. CDN has proven to be a feasible solution to the network concerns by increasing security and performance along with taking care of the bloating business.