A plumber is a tradesperson who repairs the sewage, drainage systems and installs and maintains systems that are used for drinking water. They also help with sewage malfunction during any natural disasters. This type of work is categorized as vocational. You can face several plumbing issues in your home like overflowing sink, leakage in pipelines, clogged drains and burst pipelines. In this regard, you must choose the best plumber and you can also call an emergency plumber if needed.
The word plumber came from Latin word plumberwhich means anyone who works with lead. In those days anyone who worked with lead were called plumber. In mediaeval Rome, rooftops to bathtubs, walls everywhere lead were being used and repairing of such things was done by the plumbers.
Activities of A Plumber:
Years of training make a plumberskilled. In some country’s plumbers require license to run their business. Also, a plumberhas to have skill, values and interest for his job. Apart from these there are other factors that a plumberhas to follow.
- Before an operation they have to do some homework such as drawing the plumbing layout and making blueprint.
- They must detect the actual problem and diagnose accordingly. They also have to know the proper usage of tools for specific work.
- They have to install, maintain and repair domestic as well as industrial plumbing fixture and system.
- They have to do lots of pipe works. Like, detecting the pipes that will fit in the proper usage and measuring, cutting and fitting the pipes using hand power tools.
- They also use different kind of techniques such as threaded technique, compression technique, push-on technique, soldering technique etc.
- They also detect any air holes or leakage using air and water pressure. They can also repair the clogged drain problems laid at underneath level, and they can inspect the underground pipelines with their advanced tools and CCTVs.
Helping In Natural Disasters:
In natural disaster like flood or cyclone, plumbers help to fix the problem. They repair the broken pipes that get damaged by the flood water or cyclone. They also sometimes repair the sewage system that is damaged during heavy flood. During heavy rainfall or flood when the residence area collapses and water pipes break due to the heavy force, the plumbers help us to repair the same and keep our house clean. They fix the pipes that are connected to the house, also the basement pipes because it gets clogged during the flood.
Dangers While Working:
Although they have to face some dangers in order to work. From strains, sprains or cuts to bruises, fractures, scalds, foreign bodies in the eyes or hernia. All these can be caused to a plumber while working.
- But in construction sites there can be bigger dangers than just the above mentioned ones. In a construction site many big works are being done. So there are high chances of getting hurt. A ditch can collapse for which the plumber can fall being in bottom of the ditch. This is one of the major problems as the plumber has to work in the ditch to install pipe lines or other works. Also they can fall down a hole while working on something.
- When the sewage system goes wrong often the owner tried to fix it by using chemical. These chemicals are very harmful when come in contact with the skin. Plumbers sometimes have to fix the sewage by entering into it or going too close to the chemical or sewage water.
The sewage water is filled with bacteria and microbes which can cause infections and allergy if come in contact with the skin. But as per their duty the plumbers have to do these kinds of work and they sometimes get infected.